Spring is here which means that seasonal allergies are going to be occurring more frequently over the next few months. Most common allergens at this time of year include pollens from trees, grass and flowers. Allergies can make our pets uncomfortable over the spring-summer season.
Signs to watch out for commonly are:
- Increased scratching or licking
- Runny or red eyes
- Runny nose
- Red and irritated skin, normally found on the belly, between toes or in ears.
Managing allergies can be challenging but there are some things you can do to make your pet happier at home to help reduce the effects of allergens.
- Bathing once to twice per week with a mild, oatmeal based shampoo, can help to wash allergens from the skin and stop skin being so irritated.
- Bathing feet after running through grass or other plants which produce pollens and drying the feet thoroughly afterwards.
- Vacuuming your house more frequently throughout spring and summer can help to reduce pollens and other allergens in your home.
If you are concerned about any signs your pet is exhibiting then come into the practice and see us. Sometimes they may need to be prescribed medication such as:
Both of which help to reduce itching and inflammation. Normally a short course is sufficient but if no improvement is seen, allergy testing can be carried out to determine specifically which allergen your pet is allergic too. However, normally referral is required for allergy testing.
To conclude, if you have any issues or concerns, please make an appointment with one of the vets at our clinic, who will be only too happy to see you and your pet and advise you of the best treatment option 😊